The history of the British Society São Paulo began in 1940, with the election of a Community Council and having as members British citizens resident in the State of São Paulo. Its objective was to coordinate efforts to further the interests of the war veterans of the British Armed Forces during World War II.
In 1945, following the recommendation of the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs in Her Majesty’s Government, it was decided that it would continue the social work carried out by the Community Council, even in peace time.
Two years later, Helen Stacey, a British citizen, opened the doors of her home to offer assistance to British subjects, the majority of whom were elderly. But the so-called “Stacey House” ended up also strengthening itself as a space to congregate the community, contributing towards the unity of the British community thus constituting the Fundação Britânica de Beneficência, responsible for the welfare activities of the British Society São Paulo.
In 1956 the countries that make up the Commonwealth were incorporated within the scope of activities of the Council receiving the name British and Commonwealth Community Council (BCCC).
In 2006 it was decided that Stacey House should be closed and that its residents be accommodated in other assisted living facilities. This change meant an adjustment in the focus of the institution and culminated in actions for its guidelines redefinition.
Then, in 2015, aiming to strengthen itself even further in the eyes of the community and to accommodate its priorities, the institution has adopted a new name: British Society São Paulo.
At present, the British Society São Paulo has in its scope of action the activities that integrate the British community and their organisations, conferring them a feeling of identity and belonging.
Still its principal attributions are the social, medical, and financial assistance for members of the community, especially the elderly, as a way of providing the dignity and quality of life that they deserve. This work is implemented by the legally registered charity, Fundação Britânica de Beneficência, on behalf of the British Society São Paulo.